The Dangers of Mercury Amalgams

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 in Health & Wellness, Heavy Metals, News, Political

There is only one form of stable mercury at room temperature, and that’s in the form of a gas. Mercury starts to vaporize at 10 degrees Fahrenheit, and the vapor pressure doubles for each additional 10 degrees Centigrade. Once you have a mercury amalgam installed in your tooth, you’re continuously exposed to high levels of mercury vapor through oral air, as dental amalgams, also known as “silver fillings,” actually consist of anywhere between 43 and 54 percent mercury.

This mercury is then transported to all major organs in your body, including your hormone glands, via capillaries and nerves.

READ MORE……Click Here to Read More about Amalgam Dangers

The Consumers for Dental Choice (CDC) was established in 1996 by consumer advocates, mercury poisoning victims, scientists, and mercury-free dentists and soon became a non-profit corporation.

The CDC’s purpose is to educate the public about the health and environmental dangers of mercury fillings and to ensure more effective government oversight on amalgam.  Progress has been made this year toward ridding the dental industry of dangerous mercury-containing amalgams.

As a result of enormous public pressure from dentists, health professionals and consumers, the FDA has also promised to make an announcement by year’s end of its decision about whether or not to warn the public of the dangers of dental amalgam, and possibly even restrict its use.

We need to keep the momentum going between now and year’s end. You must urge the FDA to heed the advice convened by its own scientists in December 2010. To voice your opinion, contact Dr. Shuren at:

Dr. Jeffrey Shuren, Director
Center for Devices, U.S. Food & Drug Administration
10903 New Hampshire Ave.
WO66-5431, Room 5442
Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002

Phone: 301-796-5900
Fax: 301-847-8149 or 301-847-8109
Email: jeff.shuren@fda.hhs.gov

  • Thank Dr. Shuren for agreeing to act on amalgam fillings this year.
  • Please end the use of amalgam immediately for children, pregnant women, and hypersensitive adults (as a minimum).
  • Please make sure every parent knows amalgam is mercury, not silver, by making warnings mandatory. Every consumer should be told the truth about what’s going into their mouths, and their children’s mouths.
  • Kicking the can down the road is not acceptable. It is time for a decision now, NOT an announcement that the FDA’s decision will be postponed. We have irrefutable scientific evidence about the dangers of mercury amalgams. Your children are being subjected to harm now—they can’t wait another year.